What is clean technology? At its most straightforward it is any technology that “reduces negative impacts on our environment”. In a typical office environment examples of this include:
- hardware with power-saving features to reduce the energy consumption of equipment that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- reviewing how we source the energy needed to maintain our business workstations and servers, and other integral parts of a business tech infrastructure, and making a switch to cleaner, lower impact energy generation.
But what else can we all do today to create an environmentally friendly office and more mindful workplace with some lower cost implications…?
FIVE QUICK WINS
Here’s 5 quick wins to help any office become more environmentally friendly:
1. Recycling: Ok the first one is easy. Whilst we have offices with multiple different coloured bins for office paper, card and plastic waste in the printing room does every office do the same in the break room? Do you and your colleagues separate your rubbish out at lunch and break times and dispose of the waste correctly? It’s an easy win with huge impact!
2. Printers: Try reducing the numbers of printers in your office. Fewer printers mean people are going to become less likely to print. If you have a department that currently requires heavy printing, then introduce a digital Document Management System (e.g. Sharepoint) and provide them with PDF editors and other tools that can easily convert them to printing less.
3. Buy green energy: Whether you buy green energy of grid (take a look at WLB and Beond’s West London Zero Carbon Project) and/or install solar on your rooftop, both can be a way to a zero carbon footprint.
4. Digital signature policy: There are many e-signature tools (e.g. Adobe DocuSign) available out there now so there’s no reason to require a wet signature anymore. Save the space and resources with a simple digital solution.
5. Packaging: If you’re an e-commerce business, consider eco-friendly packaging made of 100% recycled content. Then encourage your customers to re-use the packaging for any returns they have. It’s a great way for your brand to be recognised as a mindful and environmentally conscious organisation.
As a new member of West London Business, Timeless IMS are offering all WLB members free advice on ways to help turn your office into an eco-friendly office through your tech choices.
Timeless IMS help teams and individuals work more productively with technology by providing tailored intelligent managed solutions in four key areas of technology: Cloud, Security, People and Intelligence. We offer bespoke technology solution consultancy, design, procurement, implementation and ongoing managed support 24/7.